It’s often said that public has a short term memory. In India, policy of reservations has successfully defied this notion. Some thing or the other keeps popping up in the news every few days. So, what’s exactly reservations all about?
Reservations were envisaged by the founding fathers of the constitution as means to reverse the ill effects of the historical suppression of the lower classes of society by the upper class. They envisioned equality in the constitution as Equality among Equals. Keeping this view in mind, it’s not difficult to see that the lower classes needed a push and this is how Reservation Policy came around.
Not going into the political nature of the issue, the reservation was extended to the Other Backward Classes by VP Singh govt on the recommendation of Mandal Commission. After a subsequent Supreme Court judgement, the current status on caste based reservation is as follows:
- 15% for SCs
- 7.5% for STs
- 27% for OBCs – Non Creamy Layer
This reservation is with respect to access to seats in the different legislatures, government jobs, and to enrolment in higher educational institutions.
Ever since OBCs have received reservations, the general population have, time and again, vocally protested against the policy for obvious reasons. After realising that reservation policy wouldn’t end so easily, many castes have often agitated for reservation for themselves.
In light of the present situation, keeping the impact of the policy and changing times into view, one needs to critically examine the policy now. Taking the broader issue first. Should the policy be ended?
I believe this would be a bad idea. Taking “Roti, Kapda aur makaan” as still the basic needs, lets look into few numbers to see why.
- Literacy Rate for SCs and STs stood at 62% compared to the national average of 73% in 2009-10. In 1961, the respective numbers were 8.5% and 28.3%
- Poverty: While around 42% of the rural population was poor, around 47% STs, 37% SCs, 28% OBCs and 16% from the general category were poor in 2004-05. In 1993-94, the numbers were 37.3% (total), 53% (STs) and 48% (SCs) src: http://www.nird.org.in/Rural%20Development%20Statistics%202011-12/data/sec-10.pdf
The above numbers make two things very clear. Firstly, reservation policy has been successful. The beneficiaries have taken advantage of the policy to make it into the mainstream. Secondly, there is a need to continue the policy as there is still a stark difference between different sections.
However, the policy in its current form seems inefficient. Something is definitely out of place when a policy isn’t able to give the desired results in a span of over 70 years. This brings us back to the first intervention made by the Supreme Court when policy was extended to OBCs. SC introduced the concept of Non Creamy Layer, thereby excluding the economically and administratively inclusive sections of OBCs from the umbrella of reservations.
I believe same should be extended to SCs and STs. In the present form, it’s major beneficiaries are those sections of SCs and STs whose previous generations were benefited by the policy. Taking creamy layer out of the umbrella would give better opportunities to those sections of societies who really need it, making the policy more efficient. Even the general population criticises the policy when they see those unworthy of it, taking advantage of reservations.
Some might argue that reservations should be made for economically weaker sections of the societies but this argument doesn’t really stand ground. Reservation is an Indian Jugaad to uplift the suppressed “castes” of societies to reverse the effects of “their historical suppression”. To cater to the economically weak sections of society, government has several measures in place. This said, economic inequalities are bound to remain in every society no matter what you do. Compromising meritocracy for achieving economic equality is undesirable in a liberal society.
Thus, a more robust policy, where only the needy get the benefits, would help the policy achieve its goals and I don’t see a better way than extending the principle of Non Creamy Layer to the policy of reservations to make it robust.
“It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer” – William Blackstone
In his seminal work “Commentaries on the Laws of England”, William Blackstone expressed this idea which though not new, was then cemented and became a profound principle in criminal law.
I find this quote rather under celebrated. To confine it to the brim of law and judiciary seems unjustified. For me, this summarises the differences between every ideology with a tinge of liberalism and those inclined towards radicalism. The focus on the rights of an individual associated with the quote has served as baseline for Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the stepping stone of liberalism.
Having journeyed through different ideologies and philosophies, it seemed we were converging to Liberalism. Year 2016, however, has seen a lot of diversions. Brexit could possibly be marked as the first event this year to reflect the shifting ideologies. People of Britain in a historic referendum chose to exit EU. If I may, British willingness to make innocents suffer (migrants) to salvage the economy (equivalent to punishing guilty which the move may or may not) goes to point out the shift.
In another part of the world, Colombians rejected the FARC peace deal, albeit marginally, because the idea of letting ten guilty persons escape than an innocent suffering apparently didn’t appeal to the citizens. People want FARC members to be punished even if it means prolonging an already consuming civil war and unrest. To top the above events, Americans didn’t mind choosing Donald Trump as the “Leader of the Free World” neglecting his inherent xenophobia, racism, sexism. Making America great again got priority over the side casualties to every other section of American society except for white males.
This finally brings us back to India. The government has demonetised the notes of INR 500 and INR 1000 to curb the growing menace of black money, counterfeit currency and terror financing, but at what cost? When the dust settles, it will be interesting to see what price of a human life can be used for future policies to be paid as collateral damage.
We are living in “exciting” times, witnessing a change in the prevalent ideologies. This period will definitely make a mark in History; good or bad is yet to be seen. If something can be said for sure, it’s that “The Times They Are A-Changin’ “!
Much has been discussed and debated recently about Uniform Civil Code with Central Government being asked by the apex court of its response on Shayara Bano’s petition. Petitioner Bano challenged the constitutionality of Section 2 of the Muslim Personal Law (Shariat) Application Act, 1937, in so far as it seeks to recognise and validate polygamy, triple talaq and ‘nikah halala’. The Union government told the Supreme Court that ‘triple talaq’, ‘nikaah halaal’ and polygamy, as practised by the Muslims in India, were not “integral to the practices of Islam or essential religious practices”.
In a piece of news which has created a storm across the country, Prime Minister Narendra Modi went to the Washroom and didn’t click any selfie with the toilet paper, allegedly Made In India.
one who praises Narendra Modi for every good thing that happened since the inception of Universe
“It’s because of Modi ji’s hard work that you can pee,” exclaimed the bhakt
synonyms: AndhBhakt, Moditard
one who believes Arvind Kejriwal is the solution of even Schrodinger’s equation
“AAPtards believed it was the Kejriwal miracle that their Milk Man reduced the quantity of water in milk.”
someone who believes in sucking Minorities’ cock only for votes
“Sickulars support reservations for Minorities in getting laid!”
used for someone who fits in politics just like Parthiv Patel in Indian Cricket Team or Tushar Kapoor in Bollywood, so basically Rahul Gandhi
“Pappu cried because the tea “ate” his biscuit.”
used to mark the lightning that was meant to last for 5 years but gave in after 49 days
Juliet asked Romio,”You won’t leave me like AK49, will you?”
synonyms: Bhagoda ,Khujliwal, Khajruwal, Khejriwal, Kejribal *every permutation without changing the relative order of vowels and consonants*
used for the Rajnikanth of Politics
“This chaiwallah is going to change the country.”
Hey there random stranger!
Do you know more people worry about their Gods (yeah, those people we read about in novels from yore) being shown in bad light than the lives of real human beings around them.
Do you know people are more concerned about two friends cussing at each other than paying attention to the cries of help by a girl being molested.
Well, now you know!
We are human beings which Google defines as
“a man, woman, or child of the species Homo sapiens, distinguished from other animals by superior mental development, power of articulate speech, and upright stance.”
I have no doubt as far as power of articulate speech and upright stance is considered, but my problem is with the clause of superior mental development.
Life of a living being is unarguably the most precious asset. Humans kill each other for reasons like religion, family honour, not to mention the other “usual” reasons. Till date I haven’t witnessed or heard of animals killing each other for reasons as superficial as these. Do humans still come out as the living beings with superior mental development?
Next would probably be the freedom of speech, freedom to express oneself. Ever heard of animals boycotting a particular river because it allowed animals of other species to drink water from it? Ever read about lions not letting elephants trumpet? I think your answer would be same as mine, NO. Now try to think of similar examples in humans. Yeah, there are plenty, the AIB roast being the latest in the list.
So, are you still thinking we are superior to other animals when it comes to mental development? ssshhh, don’t say it out loud, people may get offended!
“I can’t, I just can’t do it. It’s so tough!”, exclaimed Rahul.
Since time immemorial, the love that the Bros share has only grown and it can easily be attributed to their religiously following of The Bro Code. This bond can never be expressed on paper; the unspoken rules, the unheard instances of bromance, everything about Bro Code is mysterious and this is what forms the basis of The Bro Code.
Pardon me Barney for my audacity, but despite being a mere human, I have tried to list down some of the rules and guidelines for the Bros which form the core of The Bro Code.
- Bros before hoes – A ‘hoe’ is defined as any woman that is not your wife or any other direct family.
- A bro will never talk about his love for another bro unless he is totally wasted.
- A bro is always allowed to do something stupid as long as his bro’s are doing it.
- Whether a Bro is into sports or not, a Bro picks a team and supports them until his dying breath.
- A bro shall not gaze at a naked bro, if for ANY reason a bro gets naked, all other bros will act as if nothing is out of the ordinary, averting their eyes away. If the towel drops, so do your eyes.
- A bro never sends a birthday card to another bro.
- A bro will not sleep with another bro’s sister.
- A Bro never watches a chick flick.
- Even in a fight to the death a Bro never punches another Bro in the groin.
- A Bro never cries. With the exception of being physically threatened by RajniKanth or Bhai himself.
- When greeting another Bro, never engage in a full embrace.
- A Bro never wears pink.
- If a Bro accidentally strikes another Bro’s crotch while walking, both silently agree to act as if nothing happened.
- A Bro is not required to remember another Bros birthday.
- A Bro will make any and all efforts to provide his Bro with a condom when he scores.
- If two Bros get into a heated argument over something and one says something out of line, the other shall not expect him to take it back or apologize, that’s what women do.
- A Bro never questions another Bro’s stated chick score, maximum bench press, or height. He can however, ask the Bro to prove it.
- If a Bro asks another Bro to keep a secret, he shall take that secret to his grave.
- A Bro never wears socks with sandals.
- The mum of a Bro is always off-limits.
- If a Bro discovers another Bro has forgotten to sign out of his Facebook/Twitter the Bro will sign out for him, but only after many many humiliating updates.
- A Bro shall not damage another Bros’ chances to score with a chick.
- If a Bro should fail at anything during sporting activities or games, he is required to make an excuse for himself, it is always the ball, bat, racket, shoes, glove, controller or equipment’s fault.
- Every Bro knows a Bro who is the worlds best at something.
- If a Bro lends another Bro a pen drive, video game, or game controller, he shall not expect to ever get it back.
- A Bro doesn’t listen to chick music…in front of other Bros.
- A Bro is never offended if another Bro fails to return a phone call, text or email in a timely fashion.
- When a Bro is in doubt, he shall consider the actions of Bhai before making a decision.
- A Bro Never Uses A Urinal That’s Right Next To The Other Bro
- All bro’s are distracted by the number 69 and it’s sexual meaning, rendering all bros unable to read anything immediately after this number.
- If a bro finds his bro’s girlfriend repulsive, he shall not say anything until they have broken up.
- A bro always has his bro’s back
- A girl can be a bro if and only if:She is the only girl present with the bros.
She is not related to any of the bros.
She is not dating/married to any of the bros.
Has been accepted by all other bros unanimously.
Agrees with and abides by ALL bro codes.
- Bros DO NOT make eye contact while at urinals, and DO NOT take a peek at their bro’s little bro.
- Bros don’t wax their body hair.
- A Bro DOES NOT choose his own nickname. A nickname is bestowed upon you by your fellow bros, either as a punishment or a reward for epic deeds.
- A Bro of a Bro is a Bro to you.
- When a Bro has a kid, his Bros become honorary uncles and must take this honour seriously, offering the same Bro-like respect for the child, and hand down valuable life lessons using their father’s moments of stupidity as the tales of caution.
- Bro’s don’t pout for photos.
- A bro does not allow his bro to drunk dial or text his ex. This is one of very few situations where a punch to the groin is acceptable, your bro will thank you for it later.
- Bro’s don’t share details about their “little bro” with other bro’s.
- Once shook upon, a bro ALWAYS honours a bet. No matter what the agreed proposition is, the losing bro honours the bet.
- Bros don’t stop to smell flowers
- When in doubt, ask your bros.
- If a chick fight breaks out, all nearby bro’s must be alerted IMMEDIATELY. Furthermore, bro’s DO NOT break up chick fights unless blood is drawn.
- A Bro will ALWAYS watch a movie narrated by Morgan Freeman.
- When a Bro wants to do something stupid, first you try to talk the Bro out of it. If they still want to do it, you film it.
- ALL conversations between bros are subject to “bro to bro confidentiality”.
- A bro cannot give another bro a Teddy bear.
- Bros shall never under any circumstances go and see chick flicks alone. Chick flicks are only tolerated when there is a 100% chance of getting laid.
- A bro does not dare/challenge another bro to do anything they wouldn’t try them self. If the dare/challenge is turned down, the challenger must attempt it before ridicule is permitted.
- When a Bro leaves his seat, the seat becomes vacant and cannot be reclaimed if a fellow Bro takes it. Lift your feet, lose your seat.
- A Bro never leaves a Bro behind.
- A Bro doesn’t attend a class if the other Bros don’t attend it.
- A Bro shares all his assignments and reports with other Bros.
- Bros only comment on a fellow bro’s fashion choice if that choice will affect the bro’s ability to get laid.
- Bros never use the term SWAG or YOLO to describe anything.
- When a bro offers another bro chewing gum, that offer is for two or more pieces, never one!
- A bro doesn’t get lost, he merely finds an alternate route.
- A Bro hates Justin Beiber, One Direction, Miley Cyrus, Hannah Montanna and loves Eminem, Football and Formula 1.
P.S. A Bro knows this list would keep getting updated as it is not exhaustive.
She couldn’t say it,
For she had been deceived earlier,
And he was just too careless,
To see in her eyes that she felt the same.